Hackintosh Processor Name Unknown? Here to fix

Inside About This Mac Overview, the processor column shows 3 GHz Unknown.
Unknown Processor

Processor Unknown?

I'm a Hackintosh user. Every time I open the About This Mac. The processor section will always show "3Ghz Unknown", which makes me feel annoying. Although, I knew the words did not affect anything.

Today, I went through Dortania's OpenCore Install Guide again. I found out OpenCore provides a way to rename the processor name.

According to the guide, the "config.plist" file provides an attribute to modify the processor type.

The attribute in PlatformInfo -> Generic -> ProcessorType.

processorType attribute in config.plist.
processorType attribute in config.plist.

Set the processorType Attribute in config.plist.

The default value of the processorType is 0, which means it will auto-detect the processor in use. But, I'm using an engineering simple Intel Core i5-10400(i5-10400ES). I guess because of this reason, macOS does not recognize my processor.

Following the guide, there is a list of pre-set values to override the current auto-detect value(0). We can get the pre-set values in a Github file.

My Hackintosh should be showing my processor type as "6-Core Intel Core i5". This value should be <0601> 06 cores Intel Core i5 in the GitHub file. The crucial part is the 0601 because it will be in the config.plist.

<0601> 06 cores Intel Core i5

However, 0601 is a hexadecimal value. The processorType attribute only accepts a decimal. So, it needs to convert from hexadecimal to decimal. You can use the online tool to do the job.

After the conversion, the value should be 1537. Set this value to the processorType attribute and save the config.plist file.

0601(Hexadecimal) -> 1537(Decimal)

It should take effect after a restart.


Here is the reminder: Always use the USB drive EFI to test the changes in config.plist first. If everything works, then only replace the latest config.plist file in the EFI partition.

Result:

Inside About This Mac Overview, the processor column shows 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5.
Processor as 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5
Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url