Try out to Power the ESP-01S(ESP8266) with Rechargeable NiMH batteries and HT7833 voltage regulator.

Try out to Power the ESP-01S(ESP8266) with Rechargeable NiMH batteries and HT7833 voltage regulator cover

I plan to build a contact and motion sensor for my bathroom. My bathroom doesn't have wall sockets. My contact and motion sensor should power using the battery. But I never power any microcontroller with a battery. So, I made this small project to try using batteries to power the development board.

Video

Hardware

  1. 3 x AA battery holder
  2. 3 x AA NiMH Rechargeable Batteries
  3. HT7833 Voltage Regulator
  4. ESP-01S(ESP8266) Development Board
  5. ESP-01 USB Programmer Adapter(Optional, as long as you can upload the sketch.)
  6. Breadboard
  7. Jumper Wires
  8. 2 Pole Screw Terminal Block
  9. 2 x 10uF Capacitors

Here I use what I have. I use three full NiMH batteries to create a voltage of around 4.5V. I think a single Li-ion battery could be the better option. It could provide 3.7V and a good capacity.

4.5V supply to the ESP-01S is too high. The ESP-01S only accepts 3.3V. I add an HT7833 voltage regulator to create a 3.3V at 500mA output. HT7833 features a low quiescent current of 4uA, making it suitable for battery-operated projects. I also add two 10uF capacitors to the voltage regulator to improve the supply stability.

The ESP-01S is the load in the circuit to run the blink program.

Upload Blink Program to ESP-01S

We can get the Blink sketch in:

File -> Examples -> 01.Basics -> Blink

Then, we select the board and port accordingly.

.

Board:
Tools -> Board -> ESP8266 -> Generic ESP8266 Module
Port:
Tools -> Port -> <Your board's port>

We plug the ESP-01S with the Programmer Adapter into the computer and upload the sketch.

Wire-up

ESP-01S powered by 3 AA Rechargeable NiMH Batteries and HT7833 Voltage Regulator Schematics
ESP-01S powered by 3 AA Rechargeable NiMH Batteries and HT7833 Voltage Regulator Schematics
Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url